The Pleasant House of Hope Community Development Corporation is a non-profit organization that was established in 2009. Founded in the City of Newark’s Lower Clinton Hill area of the South Ward, The Pleasant House of Hope strives to serve the residents and community by bringing business, educational and housing opportunities in order to renew the economic, social and health status of the community.
Pleasant House of Hope CDC understands the barriers and challenges that these families face. They are in need of a variety of programs such as neighborhood planning, affordable housing, commercial and real estate development, substance abuse, domestic violence, employment and training, job creation, education, leadership development and community building. With Pleasant House of Hope we can offer those services to the residents and the community.
With a mission geared toward the enforcement of charitable and educational initiatives as well as providing of services for all who desire them. Pleasant House of Hope implements activities for the betterment of our community and serve as a rehabilitation/information center for those in need.
Since its establishment in 2009 the PHOHCDC has partnered with the City of Newark and other organizations to provide educational and developmental programs for all. Just to name a few of the events and programs that has been sponsor and those to come:
- The Annual Back to School Event “We are Preparing YOU” has provided over 1000 families with book bags, school supplies, food, social service, health information and recreational activities during 2011 & 2012.
- Annual Summer Amusement Park Trip
- Toys 4 Tots distributed over 500 toys and incentives to families in December 2012. Our 1st Community Holiday Celebration.
- 25 of our youth attend Julliard School of Performing Arts & Dance in New York, NY for a Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. production that was shared with The Vision of Hope CDC partnership.
- The 1st Coat Giveaway afforded 100 plus families with coats and jackets during this brutal winter season of 2013.
- The Health & Safety Seminar provided youth & young adults between 12 -21 with information on percussion, intervention, and assistance.
- We will host our food pantry will Kick Off on March 20, 2013 and our goal is to provide at least 200 families with can goods and non-perishable items. This will occur the 3rd Wednesday of each month between 3PM – 6PM from this we would like to distribute food on a weekly and eventually daily.
- The “Pleasantville Summer Camp” is our NEWEST project. Coming our way this summer July 2013 – August 2013 we will provide enrichment, activities, self-sufficient skills, onsite training, recreation, food and fun to children between the ages of 7 – 14 from 9AM – 2PM Monday – Thursday.
These programs will continue to uplift the masses and aide in the expansion of what is taking place within the city of Newark.
As the Executive Director I, Joan-Marie Foushee would like for the Pleasant House of Hope to reach each family and each need; however, that is almost impossible but the effort, drive, desire, will, and want is within my heart and with the right support, and teamwork from other organization, community leaders, local and state officials we can surely obtain this goal and reach each family within the Southward and the city of Newark. My further goal is that we Pleasant House of Hope will be the forerunner community Development Corporation for all others to example after. In addition we will operate 24 hours a day 6 days a week with a full staff and provide service in the following areas:
Social Service/Social workers, Physiologists
Health (onsite, Doctor, Nurse)
A Career Center/Job Placement
Rehabilitation referrals and placements
Pleasant House of Hope CDC understands that the South Ward community and the City of Newark are continually developing. The PHOHCDC looks to assist in this development by providing sustainable, educational, and diversified programs.
The Pleasant House of Hope is located at 208 Chadwick Avenue Newark, New Jersey 07108